Bridenstine to Talk Budget to Congress
(Source: Politico)
The NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine is almost certain to face
questions about Venus and NASA’s other planetary science goals at a
Wednesday hearing before the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on
Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies, according to a
congressional staffer. He’s also likely to address questions about the
agency’s ambitious goal to put humans on the moon by 2024 at the
hearing on the agency’s fiscal 2021 budget proposal, which will be
officially announced by the committee today. (9/18)
No One Should ‘Colonize’ Space
(Source: The Atlantic)
In recent years, a movement has been growing to rethink the vocabulary
that describes humankind's dreams for an off-Earth future, specifically
to weed out language closely associated with colonialism. A popular
argument against this effort points out that, unlike Earth, the other
planets and moons of the solar system are uninhabited. If life exists
on these worlds, it’s most likely in the form of tiny microbes, easily
squashed under a spacesuited foot. What’s so bad about saying we should
colonize Mars when there’s no one there anyway?
Even if Martians aren’t going to protest our arrival, space exploration
presents plenty of other opportunities for the exploitative dynamics of
the colonial era to reemerge. Colonial-era travel spread invasive
species across the planet; space-era travel could seed earthlings all
over the solar system. Last year, for instance, an Israeli spacecraft
crash-landed on the surface of the moon and spilled several thousand
dehydrated tardigrades, microscopic animals that can survive extreme
conditions.
The creatures had been snuck aboard by a space entrepreneur who was
only supposed to contribute a DVD-size compilation of human knowledge.
“Technically, I’m the first space pirate,” he said when news of the
stowaways was revealed, much to the horror of space lawyers and
planetary-protection researchers. Connecting colonial language to space
travel also helps shore up expansionist behavior on Earth: For the past
six years in Hawaii, astronomers and local protesters have been locked
in a standoff over the construction of a new telescope near the site of
Mauna Kea, on land that native Hawaiians consider sacred. (9/17)
UK Interference on OneWeb Acquisition
(Source: City A.M.)
A member of the British Parliament says the government is interfering
with its efforts to examine the proposed acquisition of OneWeb. Darren
Jones, who chairs the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Committee, said in a letter Thursday that Business Secretary Alok
Sharma blocked a witness for a hearing on the deal from testifying.
Jones said that Sharma had no power to "authorize" witnesses to attend
such hearings and that blocking the witness was a "gross interference
with the work of parliament." Jones later tweeted that he expected the
government not to interfere with future hearings on the proposed deal.
(9/18)
ULA Pushes Delta Heavy Launch to Sep.
26 (Source: SpaceFlight Now)
United Launch Alliance has pushed back the next Delta 4 Heavy launch
attempt to next weekend. The company said Thursday it is targeting
Sept. 26 for the NROL-44 launch. A launch attempt Aug. 29 was aborted
in the final seconds of the countdown, and an investigation found a
torn diaphragm in a ground system regulator. ULA said it will replace
and test all the regulators "out of an abundance of caution" before the
next launch attempt. (9/18)
Rocket Lab Awaits Flight Termination
System Approval for First Virginia Launch (Source: Rocket Lab)
Rocket Lab has completed a final rehearsal for its first Electron
launch from Virginia. The company said Thursday it completed the wet
dress rehearsal of the Electron rocket at Launch Complex 2 on Wallops
Island, Virginia, fueling the rocket and going through the
countdown to just before ignition. The company has not set a date for
the launch, which will carry a U.S. Space Force smallsat, as it is
still awaiting approval of its autonomous flight termination system by
NASA, which operates the Wallops range. (9/18)
NASA Completes Reorg of Human
Spaceflight Directorate (Source: Space News)
NASA has completed a long-anticipated reorganization of its human
spaceflight directorate. The revised structure for the Human
Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, approved earlier this
week, includes a new Systems Engineering and Integration division to
provide high-level oversight of various programs in the directorate.
Another division will focus on development of the Space Launch System
and Orion, as well as the first two Artemis missions, while another
will focus on future Artemis missions, the lunar Gateway and Human
Landing System. (9/18)
Reality Show Winner Could Visit ISS
(Source: Space News)
A proposed reality TV show that would send the winner to the
International Space Station is the latest sign of growing interest in
future commercial space stations. The "Space Hero" show would select a
winner who will fly to the ISS in 2023 in conjunction with Axiom Space.
Representatives of the show declined to say how much money they have
raised for the project to date, other than they are "exactly where they
should be in the plan" for fundraising. One space industry investor
said proposals for space tourism and research on the ISS suggest that a
business case for a future commercial space station could close, but
that its viability will depend on exactly how much revenue those
markets can generate to cover the costs of such a facility. (9/18)
Intelsat Orders Satellite From Maxar
(Source: Space News)
Intelsat ordered an additional C-band communications satellite from
Maxar as it finalized plans to deploy a set of replacement satellites.
Maxar will build the Intelsat-37 communications satellite, based on its
1300-class platform, in an order announced Thursday. Intelsat-37 is the
last of 13 satellites ordered between Intelsat and SES to consolidate
North American broadcast customers into a smaller swath of spectrum,
freeing up C-band spectrum for terrestrial 5G services. Intelsat also
announced contracts with Arianespace and SpaceX to launch the seven
C-band satellites it has ordered. (9/18)
China Prepares for November Lunar
Sample Mission (Source: Space News)
China appears to be gearing up for a November launch of its Chang'e-5
lunar sample return mission. Two cargo ships are transporting
components of the Long March 5 rocket that will launch the mission to
the Wenchang launch site on Hainan Island. That shipment suggests the
mission will launch in the last 10 days of November. Chang'e-5 will
target a site close to Mons Rümker, a volcanic formation situated in
the Oceanus Procellarum region of western edge of the near side of the
moon, collecting samples it will then return to Earth. (9/18)
Mangata Megaconstellation Startup
Joins Incubator for 5G Networks (Source: Space News)
A megaconstellation startup is joining an incubator backed by T-Mobile.
Mangata Networks, a broadband megaconstellation venture created by
former OneWeb Satellites CEO Brian Holz, is one of 16 startups newly
added to the 5G Open Innovation Lab to support companies working on
technologies related to 5G networks. Holz formed Mangata in March with
the aim of providing global internet connectivity through a
constellation of 791 satellites spread across medium and highly
elliptical orbits. Mangata plans to launch an initial set of eight
satellites in 2023 or 2024, and enter the market by connecting into 4G
and 5G networks. (9/18)
Camden County Sued for Hiding Critical
Spaceport Information from the Public (Source: SELC)
Environmental organizations filed new claims today against Spaceport
Camden proponents for unlawfully withholding important public documents
about the flawed project. On behalf of One Hundred Miles, the Southern
Environmental Law Center (SELC) has amended its ongoing lawsuit in
Camden County Superior Court against Camden County and Spaceport Camden
consultant Andrew Nelson for failing to meet requirements under the
Georgia Open Records Act.
Over the past several years, One Hundred Miles and SELC have sent a
series of public records requests to the County about what would happen
in the event of a rocket explosion from the proposed spaceport or in
the air over nearby communities and sensitive coastal areas, including
Little Cumberland Island and the Cumberland Island National Seashore.
Camden County has refused to provide one single page of public records
in response to these requests.
Documents obtained through SELC’s now-settled federal challenge against
the FAA contain the same information that Camden County continues to
withhold, and in some cases are the exact documents in full. Other
documents released by the FAA demonstrate that the County routinely and
illegally marks public records as exempt from disclosure, despite
having no confidential information. One such document is the County’s
revised license application... to change the project from launching
medium-to-large sized rockets to launching only small launch vehicles,
which fail at a significantly higher rate. (9/18)
Startups Seek Flexibility in India's
Commercial Launcher Policy (Source: Space Daily)
India's proposed launch vehicle or rocket policy should be startup
friendly, not be restrictive in terms of minimum capital for the
company, rocket size and other things and the criteria be clear and
upfront, said top officials of two rocket companies. They also said the
private rocket makers are start-ups which the proposed policy should
take into account and the damage liability is one of our major
concerns.
"The proposed policy should be start-up friendly and not restrictive in
terms of minimum capital requirements for rocket makers. That apart,
the policy should also lay down the norms for sharing of damage
liability between the private rocket makers and the government,"
Chandana said. Other issues faced by the rocket launch companies
include the damage to properties orbiting in space and located on the
ground.
"The liability norms should also be such that there is a level playing
field for all including Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO),"
Chandana said. "Though there is no clarity on the space liability
insurance, the premium should also not be high. On the other hand, the
insurance for property damage on the ground could be like that of the
aviation insurance," he added. (9/18)
UrtheCast, In Bankruptcy, Gets
Financing and Maintains Constellation Goal (Source: Space Intel
Report)
Geospatial imagery and analytics provider UrtheCast Corp. expects to
sell both core and non-core assets as part of its Canadian bankruptcy
procedure, equivalent to the U.S. Chapter 11, but is holding on to its
long-held ambition of financing its radar and optical satellite
constellations. The company will receive $1 million in Debtor In
Possession (DIP) financing. UrtheCast filed for what in Canada is
called the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) on Sept. 4.
Ernst & Young Inc. is the court-approved monitor for the
proceedings. (9/18)
NASA Mulls Possible Mission to Venus
after Recent Discovery of Possible Life (Source: Reuters)
NASA is considering approving by next April up to two planetary science
missions from four proposals under review, including one to Venus that
scientists involved in the project said could help determine whether or
not that planet harbors life. An international research team described
evidence of potential microbes residing in the harshly acidic Venusian
clouds: traces of phosphine, a gas that on Earth is produced by
bacteria inhabiting oxygen-free environments. It provided strong
potential evidence of life beyond Earth.
The U.S. space agency in February shortlisted four proposed missions
that are now being reviewed by a NASA panel, two of which would involve
robotic probes to Venus. One of those, called DAVINCI+, would send a
probe into the Venusian atmosphere. “Davinci is the logical one to
choose if you’re motivated in part by wanting to follow this up -
because the way to follow this up is to actually go there and see
what’s going on in the atmosphere,” David Grinspoon, an astrobiologist
working on the DAVINCI+ proposal, told Reuters on Tuesday.
The three other proposals include: IVO, a mission to Jupiter’s
volcanically active moon Io; Trident, a fly-by trek to map Neptune’s
icy moon Triton; and VERITAS, the second of the proposed Venus missions
that instead would focus on understanding the planet’s geological
history. NASA has said it may choose one or two of the missions. (9/16)
Rocket Lab Plans Multiple Venus
Missions (Source: Space.com)
Rocket Lab doesn't want to be a Venus dilettante. The California-based
company aims to launch a private Venus mission in 2023 to hunt for
signs of life in the clouds where scientists just spotted the possible
biosignature gas phosphine. But that landmark effort will be just the
beginning, if all goes according to plan. "We don't want to do one
mission — we want to do many, many missions there," Rocket Lab founder
and CEO Peter Beck said.
The coming Venus mission will employ two pieces of Rocket Lab hardware
— the 57-foot-tall (17 meters) Electron booster, which has been
launching small satellites to orbit since early 2018, and the Photon
satellite bus, which made its spaceflight debut on an Electron mission
late last month.
A Photon will launch atop an Electron, then make its way to Venus on a
flyby trajectory. When the Photon gets close, it will deploy a probe
into the Venusian atmosphere. This won't be the first Photon trip
beyond Earth orbit, by the way; NASA has booked Electron and Photon to
fly a small satellite to the moon in early 2021. (9/16)
Ligado May Jeopardize Future of
Experimental Space Force Navigation Satellite (Source: Air Force
Magazine)
Officials overseeing a promising new satellite venture warned this week
that Ligado Networks could jeopardize the future of next-generation
positioning, navigation, and timing alongside the current GPS
enterprise. “As we interface with our [Air Force headquarters] staff
counterparts, the message we communicate is basically, ‘Well, we are
going to be collateral damage if this moves forward,’” Arlen Biersgreen
said. “GPS is going to be harmed, and certainly the work that we’re
doing will be harmed as well.”
The Space Force’s NTS-3 program is an experimental effort to offer more
reliable, accurate location data via satellites that complement GPS. It
is one of three “vanguard” research projects into which the Department
of the Air Force is throwing extra focus and resources because of the
value it could provide to the U.S. as a full-fledged program. The first
satellite will launch in late fiscal 2022 for a yearlong trial run.
“It’s not clear Ligado will get clearance to proceed until after the
NTS-3 mission,” L3Harris spokesperson Kristin Jones said. (9/16)
China to Launch Space Mining Bot
(Source: IEEE Spectrum)
The possibility of space mining has long captured the imagination and
even inspired business ventures. Now, a space startup in China is
taking its first steps towards testing capabilities to identify and
extract off-Earth resources. Origin Space, a Beijing-based private
space resources company, is set to launch its first ‘space mining
robot’ in November. NEO-1 is a small (around 30 kilograms) satellite
intended to enter a 500-kilometer-altitude sun-synchronous orbit. It
will be launched by a Chinese Long March series rocket as a secondary
payload.
This small spacecraft will not be doing actual mining; instead, it will
be testing technologies. “The goal is to verify and demonstrate
multiple functions such as spacecraft orbital maneuver, simulated small
celestial body capture, intelligent spacecraft identification and
control,” says Yu Tianhong, an Origin Space co-founder. (9/17)
Exclusive Resorts Charters Balloon
Ride for Space Tourists (Source: Space Perspective)
Exclusive Resorts, the premier Members-only vacation club,
announced today it plans to be the first privately chartered travel
group flight to go to space in Space Perspective’s balloon, Spaceship
Neptune. Planned to launch at the end of 2024, the luxury capsule will
carry eight Exclusive Resorts Members and a pilot on a journey to the
edge of space. Club Members will enjoy a leisurely six-hour journey,
which begins before sunrise from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida
and soars above 99% of Earth’s atmosphere to an altitude of over
100,000 feet—three times higher than commercial airlines fly.
Since 2002, Exclusive Resorts has steadily evolved its private Vacation
Portfolio of 420+ residences and experiences across the globe, ensuring
its Club Members have access to iconic and up-and-coming vacation
destinations and bucket list experiences. The Club’s privately
chartered flights aboard Spaceship Neptune are planned to be the
pinnacle of The Club’s 2024 Once-in-a-Lifetime Journeys, a collection
of itinerary-based bucket list trips in exotic locales, designed and
vetted by Exclusive Resorts specifically for its Members. Exclusive
Resorts, alongside Space Perspective, will be creating a custom flight
experience for its Members to celebrate this momentous adventure. (9/16)
Space Chief Targets Red Tape To Speed
New Tech (Source: Breaking Defense)
Slashing the byzantine tangle of Pentagon oversight that has
traditionally weighted development and procurement of space systems is
next on the agenda of Space Force chief Gen. Jay Raymond. “Now we’re
gonna go after that bureaucracy,” he said. Raymond restated that some
65 organizations now have roles in space acquisition, and “close to 30
have a role in force design” of space systems. His goal is to radically
redo that structure, with an emphasis on streamlining acquisition.
"If we get this right, we will be the envy of the other services,
because we're not tied to business of the past," Raymond said. As a
first step, the Space Force has delegated contracting authority “down
from the Pentagon staff to acquisition experts in the field.” This will
speed decision-making and ease interactions with industry, he said, but
is just the beginning of a wider reform effort. (9/15)
No comments:
Post a Comment